Facsinating Fish-Face Fishy Facts
Fish & Chips
- Fish and chips are less than 10% fat if properly cooked and an average sized portion is less than 1000 calories.
Adding peas to the meal lowers fat and calories per 100 grams, but as peas contain approximately 100 calories per 100 grams which increases the total calories consumed in the meal.
- The Young Friers Group is a social network created in conjunction with the NFFF (The National Fish Friers Federation) to help young people in the fish and chip trade get together, share ideas and raise standards across the country.
- Fish do not have a three second memory and are in fact quite cunning, according to scientists. Researchers found that fish remember potential predators for months. They are also capable of teamwork and carrying out acts of deception.
- Most can't live out of water for very long, but the climbing perch from Papua New Guinea is an aggressive freshwater species that can drag itself between waterholes and survive for as long as six days without water.
- The whale shark is the world's biggest fish, maxing out at about 65 feet in length and weighing up to about 75,000 pounds..
- There are more than 4,000 varieties of native potatoes which come in many colours, sizes and shapes. There are also over 180 wild potato species but they are too bitter to eat.
- If you laid all the spuds grown in Britain end to end they would reach the moon and back three times.